PHP 7.3 is inching closer to general release (planned for December), with today’s announcement of the first PHP 7.3 release candidate:
The PHP team is glad to announce the release of the next PHP 7.3.0 pre-release, PHP 7.3.0RC1. The rough outline of the PHP 7.3 release cycle is specified in the PHP Wiki: https://wiki.php.net/todo/php73
Here’s the remaining timeline leading up to the general release of PHP 7.3:
- Sep 27 2018 – RC 2
- Oct 11 2018 – RC 3
- Oct 25 2018 – RC 4
- Nov 8 2018 – RC 5
- Nov 20 2018 – PHP 7.3.0 branched
- Nov 22 2018 – RC 6
- Dec 13 2018 – GA
Along with the new release candidate, releases for all minor versions of PHP 7 are available as of September 13th. The new releases include a security fix:
It's release day! This one has a security fix, so be sure to pick it up!
And most excitingly, 7.3 enters release candidate stage!
PHP 7.3.0RC1: https://t.co/kMkg1RR17v
— php.net (@official_php) September 13, 2018
If you haven’t read much on PHP 7.3 yet, here are the highlight features coming to PHP 7.3:
- Trailing Commas in function calls
- JSON_THROW_ON_ERROR flag for json_encode() and json_decode()
- Flexible Heredoc and Nowdoc syntax
- An is_countable() function
- list() reference assignment
Considering that it was almost three years between the release of PHP 5.3 and PHP 5.4, the pace of about one minor PHP 7 release annually is encouraging to the growth of PHP as a language. Now, if they could only give us arrow functions…
Join the weekly newsletter and never miss out on new tips, tutorials, and more.
- Laravel / Vue.JS Developer - Join an amazing team!
- Mid / Sen. Software Engineer
- Remote PHP / Laravel Developer
- Senior PHP/Laravel Developer: Your Dream Work Environment
iPhone Photography School
- Senior Laravel Developer
- PHP Developer
- Senior Laravel Developer (Canada and India)
London, Ontario, Canada
Factory Bucket Inc.
Building Honeybadger for Laravel
Learn about the Honeybadger error tracking libraries for PHP and Laravel and some of the background on how they were…
Luhn Algorithm Package for Laravel
Laravel Luhn is a package by Vincent Prat that provides utilities to ease validation and computation of credit cards,…