The Statamic team recently launched its first open beta for v3 of the flat-file CMS and they are ready for you to give it a try.
One of the main changes to v3 is it is now built as a Laravel package instead of a “complete” application like v2. This makes it drop-in friendly for existing Laravel applications and your own Statamic sites will be much easier to extend and customize, often without needing to make addons.
This allows for things like…
- Statamic v3 will be installed via Composer
- The vendor directory won’t be included, making the package much, much smaller
- Your own Statamic site repos can be public
- Dependencies can be updated (to take advantage of fixes and features) without needing a Statamic core update or patch release
Of course, this just scratches on what all is new. The team has spent a ton of time and added lots of new features. Here are some important links about this release so you can learn more and dive right in.
- Statamic 3 Documentation
- Statamic 3 Application Repo
- Statamic 3 Core Package Repo
- Statamic 3 Migrator
A few other important pages and links
- The upgrade guide has a comprehensive list of breaking changes and a list of steps to take when upgrading a v2 site (if you don’t use the migrator).
- Statamic 3 principles is a page that gives you a high-level approach of how we think about content management and how it affects our approach to features and workflow.
- If you want to open issues, request features, or contribute please read the contribution guide first.
- The Statamic Discord is a good place to chat with us and other beta testers. Use the
<span class="token other">#v3</span>channel.