The PHP team announced the release of the first PHP 8 beta yesterday! We are still about four months from the v8.0.0, but you can start preparing for PHP 8 by learning about the new features, the upgrade path, and key dates to make sure you’re ready.
What New Features are in PHP 8?
PHP 8 expands on the language with new features focusing on the language’s object-oriented design, types, and adding missing conveniences. Here are some of the highlight features coming to PHP 8:
- Union types support
- Define Named arguments in function and method calls
- Nullsafe operator support to safely call methods on potentially null values
- The Match Expression
- Constructor property promotion to reduce boilerplate around defining and assigning properties during an object’s construction
- Changing the throw statement into a throw expression
- A new Stringable interface for classes that implement
- Support for static return type
Check out the upgrading document for the complete list of new features.
This release kicks off the feature freeze portion of the PHP 8 release cycle. We’ll see a few more betas, five release candidates, and finally the general availability release on November 26, 2020:
The following list of resources has everything you need to learn more about the upcoming releases:
- The UPGRADING document includes backward-incompatible changes, new features, and everything else you’ll need to familiarize yourself with changes in PHP 8.
- THh NEWS document has detailed notes about each release
- The PHP 8.0 preparation tasks page has the release timeline of the upcoming beta and release candidate (RC) releases
- You can download the PHP 8.0.0beta1 source from the downloads page
Join 31,000+ others and never miss out on new tips, tutorials, and more.
- Senior Full Stack PHP Developer (Laravel)
- Senior Laravel Developer
- Senior Full-Stack Engineer
[REMOTE: USA Only]
- Developers for B2B eCommerce SaaS, AWS serverless, Laravel, Vue, Python
Remote, full time EU only
ES Tech Group
- Senior PHP Developer (Laravel)
The Interaction Design Foundation
Larabelles, Localization, and Web Authentication
In this episode of the Laravel News podcast, Jake and Michael discuss Larabelles, Localization, and Web Authenticatio…
Direct Printing for Laravel Apps
Laravel Printing is a package by Randall Wilk that allows your web application to send PDF documents or raw text from…