Here’s a look at the most popular articles we wrote this year, including the major release of Laravel 5.5, command line tips, Vue.js tutorials, bash tricks, and of course, popular Laravel tutorials.
1. Laravel Tutorial: Step by Step Guide to Building Your First Laravel Application — We updated the original post for the latest Laravel 5.5 and this post by far was our most popular tutorial last year. It walks you through installing Laravel and creating an application like Laravel Links.
2. Announcing Laracon Online 2018 — Coming back for 2018 is the one-day Laracon Online conference that will be held on February 7, 2018. Just like last year, the event will be hosted entirely online and no matter where you live you can now take part in a Laracon. No hotels, no airfare, just signup and spend the day watching some of the best speakers right from your computer.
4. Laravel 5.5 LTS is Now Released — Our biggest single traffic day was the result of this release announcement of Laravel 5.5 and our accompanying video showing the new features. This was the most exciting event this year in the Laravel community and I am still referencing this post to keep track of the all the excellent new features released in Laravel 5.5.
5. Two Best Laravel Packages to Manage Roles/Permissions — was another successful guest post by Povilas Korop. Roles and permissions are an important part of many web applications. Laravel historically had a lot of packages for them and improved the core code as well. So what is the situation in this market today? What packages are the best to use? We’ve picked two.
6. Vue.js Tutorial: From jQuery to Vue.js — This post resonated well with many developers because so many people still use jQuery. This post writes a component using jQuery and then walks you through building the same component with Vue.js. The Vue.js version is compared to jQuery giving you an excellent segue into writing Vue components.
7. Minio: An Open-Source S3 Compliant Storage Service — learn about using Minio, an open-source, lightweight, S3-compatible storage service you can run locally (and in production). You can experiment with S3 locally without using Amazon and know that your code will work with S3. This tutorial demonstrates using Laravel’s new
temporaryUrl() method for the S3 driver.
8. Learn How to Write a Vue JS Wrapper Component — A Vue “wrapper” component is a technique used to integrate a 3rd party plugin with Vue by wrapping it in a custom Vue component. This tutorial walks you through building a date picker component utilizing the jQuery Date Range Picker plugin.
10. Getting to Know the Laravel Tinker Shell — Laravel includes a powerful REPL, called Tinker, powered by the PsySH console by Justin Hileman under the hood. The tinker console allows you to interact with your Laravel application from the command line in an interactive shell. This post walks you through unlocking the power of the PsySH REPL.
11. Command Line Search Tools for Programmers — This post covers five command line search tools that will help you find code, text, and files quickly without relying on an editor or an IDE.
12. Laravel Bash Aliases — To gain some insights into what others are doing we asked the community to share their bash aliases and quite a few responded with some excellent aliases.
13. Maximize Your Terminal Productivity — Learn some nifty terminal tricks using the power of Z shell (ZSH) and other command line tools like an SSH config file.
14. Learn how to set up Xdebug for PhpStorm and Laravel Valet — This video shows you how to set up a painless Xdebug configuration that will have you debugging PHP code in no time at all.
Filed in: News
Join the weekly newsletter and never miss out on new tips, tutorials, and more.
- Full Stack or Back-End Developer
Alexandria, VA; Tallahassee, FL; Orlando, FL
Marketing for Change
- Full Stack Software Engineer
Atlanta, GA or Remote
- Laravel/PHP Developer
- Software Engineer, Web Applications
Vaughan, ON, Canada
- Contract Services Software Engineer (Laravel | Vue | Tailwind)
- Senior Laravel Developer
GE Software Inc.
- Senior Full Stack Developer (PHP | Vue | DDD)