Luciano Mammino has a new post out discussing six rules for building fast applications. The rules include:
- Rule 1. Avoid premature optimization
- Rule 2. Do the minimum amount of work to solve the problem
- Rule 3. Defer the work you don’t need to do immediately
- Rule 4. Use cache when you can
- Rule 5. Understand and avoid the N+1 query problem with relational databases
- Rule 6. Prepare your app for horizontal scalability when possible
The article includes lots of great advice with links to more information in each section. One thing I’d like to add for Rule 5 is to use the Laravel Debugbar. It makes spotting and fixing those easy.
Filed in: Laravel Tutorials
Join the weekly newsletter and never miss out on new tips, tutorials, and more.
- Mid / Sen. Software Engineer
- Remote PHP / Laravel Developer
- Senior PHP/Laravel Developer: Your Dream Work Environment
iPhone Photography School
- Senior Laravel Developer
- PHP Developer
- Senior Laravel Developer (Canada and India)
London, Ontario, Canada
Factory Bucket Inc.
- Laravel, PHP, PostgreSQL, Neo4J Developer
Pune, India (intern in Denver, CO)